Wednesday, January 23, 2013

An Intercultural Reflection

Preface: 

I haven't posted to my blog in over a month.  Tonight I am posting an essay that I wrote as a part of my Truman portfolio in order to graduate.  It is in response to explaining my undergraduate intercultural experience.  Due to the subject matter, the essay re-tells some of the stories that have previously been told in this blog.  I yielded to posting this for its potential redundancy, but the presentation of my reflections are told in a different way so reading the post may still be of some interest, I hope.

Furthermore, as some of you know, I have a heart for exploration and have recently become intrigued by the idea of pursuing travel writing as a hobby.  I am currently searching for freelance opportunities and may start a separate, travel-related blog.  (Now is probably a good time to mention that all content on this blog is my intellectual property.)  "It's a Fabulous Life" is meant to be a blog that tells stories of who I am or things that I am interested in- and right now a big part of that is wrapped up in wanting to travel the world.

Post:


     One time, Truman, you frustrated me to a point that I literally had to flee the country in order to recover my hindered spirit.  Being holed up in Kirksville sometimes sucks all the cultural diversity out of you so that even reading the New York Times travel section will make you tear up a bit.  At least, that's what happened to me.  That was when I knew I needed to go.  Somewhere.  Anywhere, really.  But since I spoke a little French and had always dreamed of the Riviera, I decided I'd go there. 

     The ticket and hostel were booked.  Then I called my mom.  I remember sitting on a bench outside of Violette Hall on a nice day when I candidly slipped into the conversation, "I think I'm going to France in a couple weeks.  After finals."  When I told my friends, the most common response was, "Have you seen the movie Taken?"  I didn't care.  I'm a dreamer; I let my mind wander often.  This time I would allow my body to follow.  

     I had been to France before, always holding the most romanticist view of Paris and the corresponding culture.  As a child I had been obsessed with the cartoon Madeline, and to this day I still idealize her sense of spirit and childlike rebellion.  I envied her as she pranced in front of the cartoon drawing of the Eiffel Tower while munching on baguettes and wearing a yellow beret.  I threw nothing short of an all-things-French-obsessed tantrum when my father traveled to Paris for his job.  "I want to go with yooouu" I would whine.  I was three.  "When you're older." he said.  "When?" I persisted.  He settled on "When you turn ten."

     That was a semi-promise I didn't forget.  So for my tenth birthday I found myself in Paris.   Memories of creamy fondue, gargoyles, the Louvre, and of course the magnificent Tour d'Eiffel resonated with me years after I left.  I'll especially never forget how a rainy night turned into a snow-laced wonderland after climbing the height to the top level of the Eiffel Tower.  Ideal for a February birthday.  It was nothing short of magical.

     But I wasn't finished with Paris.  It would be another seven years before I would return to the city, this time as a junior in high school and freshly educated of the mysterès of the Lost Generation (Ezra Pound, Ernest Hemingway, Gertrude Stein, and Missouri's own T.S. Eliot).  It was a family vacation, and of course visiting the historical sites and attractions was a priority.  However, revisiting a foreign place is an interesting experience.  There for the second time, I was able to see past the necessity of “attractions”; instead I was determined to soak up the culture as much as I could.  I remember saying "I just want to be there.  I don’t really care what I do once I’m there.”

     I remember tracking down the famous Le Select cafe, where F. Scott Fitzgerald would frequently spend all day writing manuscripts that would one day be famous.  I lingered in the cafe as long as my family would tolerate, in hopes that something in the air would possibly waft over me, giving me... something.  While I was waiting for whatever that was, I enjoyed a cappuccino.   

     I returned home from that trip a little richer, and content for the time being.  

     When I began college, I always had hopes of studying abroad- Maybe France?  But then again, I wanted to try something new. Then an opportunity to study abroad in China arose, but I chose a summer internship instead.  Before I knew it, I was in the spring of my sophomore year with no real plans to commit to studying abroad.  At the time, I felt too attached to my schedule at Truman- the regularity of attending classes and organizational meetings and being surrounded with familiar friends.  I didn’t want to leave for an entire semester; I didn’t want to miss out on what I might leave behind me.  I didn’t consider all the opportunity I could potentially look forward to.  While now, as a senior, I look at that decision with disappointment, I do not necessarily regret my choice to not study abroad in college. 

     As a way of compensating for not formally studying abroad, I made effort throughout my college career to travel and experience different cultures.  My junior year I visited a friend in London during spring break.  A few months later I crossed the Atlantic again to explore the south of France.  During my senior year I was able to visit a friend in Greece for a week. 

     I could write pages upon pages about the cultural experiences I was able to soak up in each of these far-away places, but I’ll focus the remainder of this essay on my third return to France.  This trip holds a significantly special place in my heart, as it was a solo trek.  Travelling alone made me vulnerable to the culture.  If at any point I was uncomfortable, I couldn’t turn to a familiar face for comfort, advice, or company.  I would have to find that from the people I met along the way.  

     I stayed in a youth hostel in the city of Nice, which is centrally located along the Côte d’Azur.  The nearby cities of Cannes, Grasse, Ville-Franche, and Monaco were easily accessible by short train rides.  Staying in a youth hostel felt surprisingly familiar.  Its dorm-like atmosphere easily led to camaraderie between travelers, a good amount of which were also travelling independently.  While I spent the majority of my days wandering the streets of these cities unaccompanied by maps (and almost always accompanied by a baguette), it was nice to return to the hostel that night to meet up with faces that soon became familiar.  Nights were spent cooking dinner in the kitchen of the hostel, watching a foreign movie, and talking about all topics of life over glasses of wine.  I met young adults from around the world: Finland, Canada, Australia, Italy, Germany, and Bulgaria. 

     It was sad to return from a day of wandering to realize that a new friend had left Nice- either for home or another city along their journey.  And when it was my turn to leave, I was immensely jealous of those that were able to stay another night or two.  And though I was gone for but a week, my week had been fulfilling and wisely spent.  I recall wandering through various museums.  I recall shopping in both large department stores and open air food and craft markets.  I recall tasting “socca” and “salade niçiose”.  I recall the conversations I had with young adults of different nationalities and cultural views.  And even if these particular moments and memories ever fade, the feeling of my experience is lasting. 

     The list of places I have been fortunate enough to travel to within the United States and across the world is personally meaningful and significant, but the list of places I yearn to go in the future is outstanding and daunting.  You cannot go everywhere.  You will leave the earth before you’ve seen every place on earth that you want to see.  But travelling is the most classic case of balancing quality against quantity.  I would rather soak up a cultural experience than rush through a list of destinations.  Travelling isn’t about completing a checklist.  To compare it with anything linear of the sort would indicate a misunderstanding of travel’s beauty.  Travel encompasses you in many directions: it is the food you eat; it is the people you talk to and the questions that you ask of them.  

To quote Anthony Bourdain (who I wouldn’t mind being someday):  “In the few years since I’ve started to travel this world, I’ve found myself changing.”










No comments:

Post a Comment