Monday, December 26, 2011

2011 Movie Review

I hope that everyone had a very, very, merry Christmas!  The week between Christmas and New Year's always feels surreal to me, and oddly reflective.  Maybe it is because of the lack of agenda'd items during these next few days, and that is what causes me to be so nostalgic about the year that is winding down.  Normally my life is a hectic, crazy blur but this is the one week that feels completely still....

It's a perfect week for movies.

As you'll see at the end of this post, there are a lot of movies that came out this year that I need to catch up on, but first I'd like to touch on some movies of 2011 that I did see, and that were absolutely fabulous:


The Company Men
This movie actually premiered at Sundance in January 2010, but wasn't released majorly until 2011.  This is definitely the most worthwhile movie of the year to me personally.  As I am going into the world of business, it was eye opening to see the realities of high powered jobs in a recession stricken economy, and just how fragile a success ridden reputation can be.  The movie illustrates the importance of life priorities and attitude, in a surprisingly non-cheesy way. 


The Hangover Part II
Actually a fairly bad movie plot-wise (almost an exact duplicate of the first Hangover) but this one made the list because I literally didn't stop laughing throughout the entire movie. Any movie that I can simultaneously get an ab workout AND eat cookie dough bites is fabulous in my book. 


Just Go with It
A silly, yet pleasantly entertaining comedy. 


Justin Bieber: Never Say Never
I watched this movie as a joke with my friends, but by the end of the documentary/concert style film, I was wishing that I was 16 so that I could feasibly have Bieber Fever without it being an illegal aspiration.  I actually have a lot of respect for the kid as a musical talent (even if his Christmas CD was terrible).


Unknown
Liam Neeson in a thriller?  Shocking.  This one is delightful and a little farther away from home than Taken, so that is always a relief.  


The Adjustment Bureau
A lot of critics said that the Adjustment Bureau was anti-climatic, which I would agree with.  However, the chemistry between Matt Damon and Emily Blunt keeps you engaged and enjoying the moment of the story that you are in, instead of always anticipating what is coming... although I guess that is counter-intuitive for what may be marketed as a "thriller". 


The Help
Emma Stone.  Was.  Amazing.  I don't know anyone who saw this movie who wasn't moved.  If you haven't seen it, you really should.  Truly worthy of all the hype it received. 


J. Edgar
My initial reason for seeing this movie was for Leo.  Turns out he was old, fat, and g(r)ay.  Still... I LOVED this movie.  It was incredibly eye-opening to realize that today's sophistication of the FBI wasn't dreamed about 100 years ago and that forensic investigation wasn't even considered important or worth while.  Such a great historical story, with great acting as well.


New Year's Eve
Zac Efron wasn't even that cute in this movie... so that's not why it made the list.  Even though the film was dripping with celebrity name drops and the plot was less than original, this movie warmed my insides like a bowl of tomato soup (cheesy films need cheesy analogies).


Waiting for Forever
This movie also was released in several film festivals in 2010 before being majorly released in 2011.  It's a quirky movie of a rejected romance between grown up childhood friends: a professional, nearly homeless clown and a Hollywood actress.  This "romance" comedy is anything but cookie-cutter and certainly inspiring in a subtle, non-obvious way.  A truly charming story. 


Twilight: Breaking Dawn Part I
Guilty pleasure.


I also saw a few pretty bad movies, the worst of which was Prom, Disney's latest disaster.  I guess the thought process behind Redboxing that one was that it would be "so bad it was good".  That didn't happen... it was actually just so bad that it was soooooo bad.


And then of course there is the list of movies that came out this past year that look really, really good... but I haven't yet got around to.  Those include:


  • Jane Eyre
  • The Lincoln Lawyer
  • Hop
  • Source Code
  • The King’s Speech
  • Water for Elephants
  • Something Borrowed
  • Mr. Popper’s Penguins
  • Winnie the Pooh
  • Crazy, Stupid, Love
  • Happy Feet 2
  • The Descendants
.... I know, I know. TWO penguin movies that I missed.  


...I have some work to do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment