Friday, January 06, 2012

Running with a Broken Heart

Today I want to talk about something that truly breaks my heart.

Slavery.

It seems like such a shocking concept today, doesn't it?  It was so normal and accepted in the early American days of plantations and labor intensive industries.  But 150 years later, it is disgusting and saddening.

In 1863, President Lincoln ordered the Emancipation Proclamation, freeing 3/4 of all American slaves.  In 1865, the 13th amendment was passed declaring all slavery in America illegal.

But slavery did not end.




Today, across the globe, there are roughly 27 million people enslaved - owned in captivity, forced to work against their will, and barely able to survive in their hell.

...In the year 2012.

That is more people enslaved today than any other time in history.

27 million people - that is more than all of the people living in New York, Chicago, LA, Houston, Philadelphia, Phoenix, San Antonio, San Diego, Dallas, and St. Louis COMBINED.

So what is modern day slavery and human trafficking?
"Slavery occurs when one person completely controls another person, using violence or the threat of violence to maintain that control, exploits them economically, pays them nothing, and traps them into never being able to escape.  The global slave trade is often referred to as "human trafficking."  Slavery includes everything from young girls and boys trafficked for sexual exploitation, to children abused in factories, to men and women trapped as bonded labor slaves and other unfathomable injustices."

"Ignorance isn't an excuse." (Source: Do Something Now Campaign)

This modern day slavery is not just a 3rd world problem, somewhere far away and unfamiliar.  Slavery and human trafficking has been reported in ALL 50 STATES of America, the land of the free.  Instead, life and liberty are ignored.

There are a lot of great sources that explain further the realities of the current slavery situation.  I'd like to point you in the direction of:
-Not For Sale Campaign
-Call and Response
-The CNN Freedom Project
-Do Something Now
-Anti-Slavery
...and these are just a few of the websites dedicated to educating and encouraging action on the topic of anti-slavery efforts.

Slavery today is very real.  Ignorance is easier.  But inaction is not an option...

A couple of months ago, I registered to run my first marathon.  I wanted to challenge myself.  I wanted to do something that would change my life.

For those of you that don't know, a marathon race is 26.2 miles long.  However, 26.2 miles is the lowest amount of mileage you can run in an official marathon event, as the mileage for the race route is determined as the shortest possible route (running on the inside corners, etc).  In reality, by the time you dodge around other runners and take a few outside corners or stop for a water station, you end up running a little more than just 26.2 miles.  You run around 27 miles.

I've decided to dedicate the 27 miles that I'll be running on April 15th to the 27 million people currently trapped in slavery.

One mile for each million people.

That means that each stride will represent over 300 individuals.

I could wait until I become an expert marathoner before I try to promote a cause by running.  But first of all, I will never be an expert marathoner (I'll be thankful to finish) and I am ready to do something about this issue NOW.

The reason and the purpose for me running this exceptionally challenging event has now changed.  It isn't just about me (1 person) anymore, it is about all of the people (27 million) that need our help to experience freedom.

I'd like to raise money for a very strong anti-slavery organization, and if you'd like to join me in my efforts, you can click on the below link to make a secure donation to the International Justice Mission:



International Justice Mission (IJM) is a human rights agency that brings rescue to victims of slavery, sexual exploitation and other forms of violent oppression. IJM lawyers, investigators and aftercare professionals work with local officials to secure immediate victim rescue and aftercare, to prosecute perpetrators and to ensure that public justice systems - police, courts and laws - effectively protect the poor.

It is hard in a single blog post to explain why modern day slavery is so tragic.  I'd be willing to talk to anyone further about this issue that is tugging at my heart.  Feel free to comment or contact me otherwise for any questions on my fundraising efforts.

Thanks for reading this one!
Sarah

3 comments:

  1. Did you go to Passion 2012 in Atlanta Georgia?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes ma'am! It was amazing to say the least :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should check out the 27 Project. It's run by a couple girls in their twenties who are missionaries. They're doing what you are planning to do, and you could join them!

    http://the27project.org

    ReplyDelete