Saturday, July 14, 2012

Falling back in love (an open letter to running)...

Dear running,

So I was a little bitter.  And maybe you didn't deserve that.

I realize that my snarky-ness these past few months has gotten us nowhere.  But ever since April 15th, things just haven't been the same.

You hurt me.  Like, really really hurt me.  We set off to travel 26 miles together, and by the end of all that, I had absolutely had enough of you.  Maybe we just weren't meant to be.

So I sort of took some time off.  I mean, we still sorta hung out... but it wasn't with the same ease that once floated over us.  When we did spend time together, it was definitely forced.  And I'll be honest, my motives here revolved around having a nice butt and jeans that fit not too tight.

You were a strain, a pain, something I had to do.

It wasn't you, it was me.

But lately I feel myself softening up, and I think I'm starting to understand what you're all about.  You're not just about lacing up special shoes and putting in a set number of miles... you're about connecting to human instinct and exploring new places (literally and figuratively).

And I understand the whole struggle from your point of view... You, you want to be easy to love, but not so easy that you're taken advantage of.  You want to be pursued and worked towards.  If you gave yourself away so easily, you'd lose your prestige.  Yet you want everyone to love you.  I'm sure that must be tough.

But, on the other hand, you can be such a pill.  After we ran the marathon, I was so upset with you.  It took my body a full month to recover, and my heart three times that amount.

You put me through so much.  But you also gave me so much.

So here I am, wanting you back in my life.  I'm falling back in love with you, and I can't wait to embark on a new journey together.  You and I, we can do anything.  And come October 21st, we'll get to celebrate something beautiful.  Thanks so much for not giving up on me.



Much love,
Sarah



No comments:

Post a Comment