Sunday, July 08, 2012

Modern Day Classiness

I'm really sad that nobody has ever asks me who my style icon is.  (And I'm not sure why that should come up in normal conversation, but I have an answer prepared in case if it ever does.)  For those of you still wondering, my all-time style icon is Grace Kelly.


I always liked her, but didn't realize how much I liked her until I was able to visit the Princess Grace museum in Monaco a couple of months ago.


The museum was fascinating, archiving Grace's sense of style.  But this woman was stylish in a way outside of what clothes can portray.  Grace Kelly had remarkable class, displayed by her poise and confidence as a woman.  

Grace was born into privilege, had a beautiful acting career, and then married a prince.  A PRINCE.  Not a bad gig, right?  She could have been a total snob if she wanted to.  But her outward beauty was only out-shined by her kind heart. 

My mom recently told me that I have an old soul.  At first, I immediately dismissed the idea of my soul being saggy and wrinkly.  But, mom knows best, and after some consideration, I have to agree.  I do have an old soul.  I have a soul that yearns for "the good ol' days" where women had "class" and men had "gumption".  These concepts were so prevalent that those living at the time didn't realize what gems they truly had. 

Being classy is beautiful.  And there's nothing else that I'd want to be.  I've found that self-respect and a sense of class will get you through any bad day, any bad situation, or any bad feeling.  

What's considered "classy" today may differ slightly than it did 50 years ago.  But I'm a firm believer in pursuing modern day classiness.  

I spent the duration of my 7 mile run (I decided yesterday that I'm training for another marathon. We'll talk about that later.) trying to figure out a definition of "class".  An hour later... still nothing too substantial definition-wise.  

I think better in bullet points.  So here is some of what I came up with. 

Modern day classiness is...
  1. Embracing a positive attitude rooted in reality. 
  2. Listening genuinely.
  3. Welcoming the world around you with consideration and thoughtfulness. 
  4. Loving and respecting yourself. 
  5. Avoiding negative talk (complaining, gossip, etc)
  6. Being happy for and supportive of other people.
  7. Learning and questioning as much as you can.
  8. Actively seeking out opportunities for personal growth.  
  9. Being brave; but not so brave that you think you don't need God, family, or friends. 
  10. Possessing Faith, Trust, Fortitude, and Wisdom (love those Cardinal Key virtues)

It's not just about wearing high heels and pearls.  (Although that doesn't completely hurt...)

Stay fabulous, stay classy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment